lunes, 16 de enero de 2012

Get yourself a copy machine


Previously, in theredstringofate: The start at the office, the Council of Europe and its inspirational ideals, the traditional Austrian outfit and how I can't stop singing Sound of Music's soundtrack every time I see them.

It has been 2 weeks. 
As days go by, I realize how hard it is to start from the scratch on and on again, even though the first days in a new country are always extremely exciting. Soon, little problems start showing up and it is then when you realize pasta and sandwiches can’t be the core of your diet everyday and you can’t go out 4 days out of 7 either. However, it is only when you start recognizing faces in the bars when you notice that it might be too much. 
Besides, who can afford a completely improvised an unplanned life? That only happens in Hollywood movies and tv series where 21-year-old guys live by themselves in a house by the beach. After two weeks abroad, you remember work is work and people are people no matter where you are: you have changed country but you are still in the same planet. Your ERASMUS days are over, baby. Welcome to reality!
You also have to deal with new and different people, you have to learn how to be flexible and how to put yourself in other people’s shoes (even when you don’t even like their shoes or they don’t fit at all). And you need to do it for the sake of pluriculturalism and peaceful coexistence – for the sake of the flag hanging out of my office’s window (those who know me best know I have a weakness for this one).


That is what I think every day when I sit in front of my computer. So far, work is quiet and I am doing little things, ABER… (means but in German, see how fast I improve), they are “somebody-has-to-do-it” type of things. If it wasn’t for trainees introducing information in data bases and updating files…I mean, come on, we would all be dead. 

*At this point I might as well take the opportunity to thank the kind cleaner who dares to clean our kitchen at the residence twice a week. If it wasn’t for her, we would also be dead.

When you start from the scratch, everything is complicated and requires additional mental effort. Going shopping can be a real torture if it is not well planned (apart from the fact that you might not have a clue of what you're buying). For instance, you go to the supermarket for the basics and come back home with a Tefal pan and ice cream, and also with some spice you thought could be nice for your soup but in fact has nothing to do with what you had in mind.

However, I have to say the most stupid achievement can also make your day. Last week I concluded I was in love with the copy machine. I am SURE it can make paella if I learn how to use it. Not only does it print, but it scans, it staples, it organizes your copies in whichever way you prefer… The only issue is that it speaks in German and I only understand “doppel”… I don’t know what to do when I want a single side copy.  ABER… I start my Deutsch Kurse tomorrow, and my copy machine and I have high hopes in it. Also, my copy machine and I speak the language of love: 


I am also starting my Climbing Kurse on Wednesday. Wish me good luck J
I wish you all a good night and nice Apfelstrudels!!




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario